SEASONED BLACK EYED PEAS RECIPE
- 1 pound black eyed peas
- 1 bell chopped pepper
- 1 chopped onion (large)
- 10 12 cups water
- 1 2 finely minced jalapeno peppers
- 2 tblsp oil
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Ham bone or ham hock for seasoning
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and then add onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook it for about 5 minutes until it becomes tender.
- Now add the ham bone, peas and the seasonings and bring it to boil.
- Slice the sausages into 1/2 inch pieces and brown them in a heavy skillet and add them to the beans.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour and add the parsley about 50 minutes in. The beans turn tender and creamy.
- Check the seasonings and add water if necessary.
- Serve as a soup or thinned with ham stock.