RICE AND RED BEANS RECIPE
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 chopped large onion
- 5 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 2 bay leaves
- 1 large smoked ham for seasoning
- 5 6 cloves
- 1/2 to 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- Garlic, as much you like
- Crystal hot sauce to taste
- Red pepper and black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Firstly, soak the beans overnight and then the next day, drain out the water and put some fresh water.
- Now bring the beans to boil and make sure that the beans are always covered with water otherwise they will discolor and get hard.
- Boil the beans for 45-60 minutes until they do not fall apart.
- Cook the onions, celery and the bell pepper until the onions turn golden brown. Now add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- When the beans are boiled and drained, add the cooked vegetables to it.
- Now add the smoked ham and just enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Now cook the beans for at least 2 hours until it becomes creamy.
- Adjust the seasonings as you go along and stir occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve the beans hot along with rice.