Wouldn’t it be incomplete to have Thanksgiving without a Pumkin pie? Well then here is an easy traditional recipe of pumpkin pie to make at home and enjoy with family.
- All Purpose Flour
- Unsalted Butter
- Egg York
- Castor Sugar
Rich Shortcrust Pastry:
- 8 oz ( 225 g ) all purpose flour
- 6 oz ( 170 g ) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 level dessertspoon of castor sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of iced water
- pinch of salt
- Sift the flour into your food processor
- Add all the other ingredients, turn on the machine and mix in short little bursts
- Keep going until pastry forms a ball
- Wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 hour
- Roll out and put into greased a flan dish
- Return again pastry case to refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Fill the pastry case with the pumpkin mixture and bake for 50 minutes at 180 C ( 350 F )
- 12 oz ( 350 g )fresh or cannedpumpkin purée4 oz ( 110 g ) brownsugar
- 1-2 oz ( 50g ) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 fl ( 60ml ) of Maple Syrup
- 4 fl oz ( 125 ml ) milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- half a teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- half a teaspoon of grated ginger
- a tiny pinch of ground cloves
- a pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients together, except for the egg whites
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff
- Fold gently into the pumpkin mixture
- Pour into pastry shell bake for aprox: 50 minutes at 180 C (350 F )
- Leave it to cool on a wire rack, if you want dust with icing sugar
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, delicious
Here are 3 ways to prepare fresh pumpkin:
1st. Cut in half and clean out the center, discarding the seeds and stringy bits. Place onto a baking tray into a preheated oven with the open part facing down. When ready, fork tender, scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor.
2nd. Cut in half and clean out the center, discarding the seeds and stringy bits. Cut pumpkin into pieces and peel. Boil, covered in a small amount of water, until fork tender. Drain and mash or puree in a food processor. The fresh pumpkin is now ready to use the same way you would use canned pumpkin.
3rd. If you are using your pumpkin for Halloween decoration, scoop out and follow as 2nd.way.
It can be frozen in containers until ready for use.